|E-mail: famoreno [at] uma.es | Phone: +34 952132848 | Office: Lab 2.3.6.i ETSI Informática / 1.067D EI Industriales|
|Associate Professor & Researcher at System Engineering and Automation Dpt. – University of Málaga|
HTS of Computer Science Engineering, Lab. 2.3.6i, Teatinos Campus – 29071 Málaga
|Profesor Titular de Universidad & Investigador en Dpto. Ingeniería de Sistemas y Automática – Universidad de Málaga|
ETSI Informática – Telecomunicaciones, Lab. 2.3.6i, Campus de Teatinos – 29071 Málaga
I was born in Linares (Jaén, Spain) in 1981, and received the BSc. degree in Technical Telecommunications Engineering from the University of Jaén in 2002. Then I moved to Málaga and received the MSc. degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the University of Málaga in 2007.
In late 2008, I received a FPU grant from the Spanish administration to perform my PhD in the University of Málaga, associated to the Machine Perception and Intelligent Robotics group of the Department of System Engineering and Automation (ISA).
Since 2017 I teach different subjects within the ISA deparment, including Perception Systems, Robotic Systems, Industrial Automation and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
In 2023 I obtained a permanent position as Associate Professor in the University of Malaga.
My research interests include:
- Computer vision.
- Stereo vision.
- Visual odometry and SLAM.
- Global descriptors.
- Mobile robotics.
- Localization and mapping.
- Telepresence robotics.
- Human-machine interaction.
I teach these subjects at the University of Málaga (in Spanish)
- Sistemas Robotizados (GITI)
- Automatización Industrial (GIEI & GIERM)
- Sistemas Integrados de Fabricación (MII)
- Sistemas de Percepción (MIM)
During my research years I have been enrolled in a number of research projects:
- 2021 – 2024 » ARPEGGIO: Advanced Robotic Perception for Mapping and Localization [Active]
- 2021 – 2023 » HOUNDBOT: Gas Concentration Mapping and Gas Source Localization by a Mobile Robot [Active]
- 2018 – 2021 » WISER: Building and exploiting semantic maps by mobile robots
- 2018 – 2019 » Odometría Visual-Inercial para implementación en vehículos aéreos no tripulados
- 2017 – 2019 » IRO: Improvement of the sensorial and autonomous capability of Robots through Olfaction
- 2017 – 2019 » MoveCare: Multiple-actOrs Virtual Empathic CARgiver for the Elder
- 2016 – 2017 » PROMOVE: Advances in mobile robotics for promoting independent life of elders
- Jul’15 – Dec’15 » Taroth: New developments toward a Robot at Home
- 2013 – 2014 » Giraff+: Combining Social Interaction and Long Term Monitoring for Promoting Independent Living
- Jan’13 – Mar’13 » Laser-based sensing technology for improved control of spraying booms. (University of Lincoln)
- 2010 – 2013 » EXCITE: Enabling Social Interaction Through Embodiment
- 2009 – 2012 » Construction of Metric-Topological Visual Maps in Mobile Robotics
- 2009 – 2011 » TCS: Tunnel Continuous Setout (in Spanish)
- Feb’08 – Nov’08 » Assistive Mobile Robots operating in Environments with Human Presence
- 2007 – 2008 » Roadbot: a robotic vehicle for automatic road surveying (in Spanish)
- 2006 – 2007 » AGAVE: AGv nAvigation system based on exible and innovatiVE UWB positioning
I have also performed two short research stays:
- Jan’13 – Mar’13 » Research stay in Lincoln (UK) (3 months) working on GPS and laser-sensing fusion for improved control of agricultural spraying booms, under the supervision of Dr. Tom Duckett and Dr. Grzegorz Cielniak.
- Sep’10 – Dec’10 » Research stay in Bristol (UK) (3 months) studying keypoint descriptors for camera localization, under the supervision of Dr. Walterio Mayol-Cuevas and Dr. Andrew Calway.
- Programming languages: C, C++, HTML, PHP, Matlab, Python, Java.
- Programming IDEs: Visual Studio (Windows), Code::Blocks (Linux), Android Studio, Jupyter notebooks.
- Software libraries: MRPT (developer), OpenCV, Eigen, PCL, Android SDK.
- Robotic frameworks: OpenMora (developer), ROS, Stäubli Robotics Studio, Beckhoff TwinCAT
- CAD & CAM: FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, CamBam, CAMotics