I received the B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Seville in 1987. Then, I joined the Department of "Ingenieria de Sistemas y Automatica" at the University of Malaga in 1988 and received the Ph.D. from this University in 1993. In 1990-1991 I was at the Field Robotics Center, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University (USA) working on mobile robots as part of my PhD. Since 1996 I've been leading Spanish and European projects on mobile robotic and perception. Currently, I am the head of the MAPIR group and full professor at the University of Malaga. My research interest includes mobile robot autonomous navigation, computer vision and robotic olfaction. In these fields I've published three books and more than 200 papers.
Ongoing projects I'm leading
- WISER: Building and exploiting semantic maps by mobile robots (Jan'18 - Dec'20). (Funded by Spanish National Research Program)
- MoveCare: Multiple-actOrs Virtual Empathic CARgiver for the Elder (Jan 2017- Dic 2019). (Funded by EU H2020)
- IRO: Improvement of the sensorial and autonomous capability of robots through olfaction (Feb. 2014-Feb. 2019). (Funded by Andalusian Goverment)
- Visual odometry for Unmanned Aerial Systems (May 2018-Dic. 2018). (Funded by Boeing Research&Technology Europe S.L.)
- Ruben Gomez-Ojeda
- Manuel López-Antequera (co-supervised with Nicolai Petkov)
- Carlos Sanchez-Garrido
- Jesus Briales
- Francisco Melendez (co-supervised with Cipriano Galindo)
- Andres Gongora
- Mariano Jaimez (2017) (co-supervised with Daniel Cremers)
- Jose Raul Ruiz-Sarmiento (2016) (co-supervised withC Galindo)
- Francisco Moreno(2015)(co-supervised with JL Blanco)
- Eduardo Fernandez-Moral(2014)(co-supervised with V. Arevalo)
- Javier G. Monroy(2013)(co-supervised with JL Blanco)
- José Luis Blanco(2009)(co-supervised with JA Fernandez-Madrigal)
- Vicente Arévalo(2008)
- Cipriano Galindo (2006) (co-supervised with JA Fernandez-Madrigal)
- Antonio Reina(2001)
- Juan Antonio Fernandez-Madrigal(2000)
Some Invited Talks
- Robots, sensores, personas. Conferencia dentro del programa de formación de la empresa Altran España. 26 Junio 2014.Madrid.
- Robots that can smell. In the Johann-Bernoulli-Colloquium at the Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Groningen. Groningen, The Netherlands. October 2012.
- The Born of Perspective: When Painting Meets Reality. At the Workshop of the Austrian Association for Pattern Recognition (OAGM/AAPR) 2011. Graz, Austria. May 2011.
- Research at the Machine Perception and Intelligent Robotics Group (UMA). Centre for Applied Autonomous Sensors and Systems. University of Orebro (Sweden). September 2008.
- Research on Computer Vision at the Perception and Mobile Robotics Lab (UMA). University Mohamed V of Rabat. Morocco. December 2007.