I was born in Málaga, Spain, in 1984. I received the B.Sc in "Computer Science Engineering" from the University of Málaga in July 2009, and one year later the M.Sc in "Mechatronics". Before that, in September 2008 I joined the MAPIR group. Since then, I have been involved in different projects as the TCS national project or the european one ExCITE. In January 2012 I obtained a FPU grant from the Spanish government, a great oportunity to take advantage of 4 years as PhD. student. In November 2016 I completed my PhD in Computer Science at the University of Málaga. Nowadays I'm a post-doc researcher at MAPIR.
- PhD in Computer Science Engineering with honors. University of Málaga, November 2016.
- M.Sc in Mechatronics. University of Málaga, July 2010.
- B.Sc in Computer Science Engineering. University of Málaga, July 2009.
Scientific production (publications)
- Journal papers: 10
- Conference papers: 19
- Book chapters: 4
- Technical reports: 1
- ROBOTNIK award to the best PhD thesis in Robotics, presented in the Jornadas de Automática 2017, for the thesis entitled Probabilistic Techniques in Semantic Mapping for Mobile Robots.
- Finalist of the IBIMA awards to the best 2017 paper for the work Robot@Home, a Robotic Dataset for Semantic Mapping of Home Environments.
- PAAMS'11 award for scientific excellence for the work Improving Human Face Detection through ToF Cameras for Ambient Intelligence Applications
- INFAIMON 2011 award to the best work on Applications of Computer Vision to Automatic for Cámaras basadas en tiempo de vuelo. Uso en la mejora de métodos de detección de caras.
Participation in Projects
- WISER: Building and exploiting semantic maps by mobile robots (DPI2017-84827-R). MINECO, Spanish call. Jan'18-Dec'20. (Research member) Ongoing
- MoveCare: Multiple-actOrs Virtual Empathic CARgiver for the Elder (Project ID: 732158). Call H2020-ICT-2016-2017. Jan'2017-Dec'19· (Contract staff) Ongoing
- SiMoDiM: Monitorización y Diagnóstico para la transformación digital del mantenimiento predictivo y correctivo de la maquinaria industrial del proceso de laminación en caliente (OTRI-8.06/5.56.4826). Acerinox Europa S.A.U. Mar'17-Mar'18. (Research member)
- IRO: Mejora de la capacidad sensorial y autónoma de robots mediante olfato (2012-TEP-530). Junta de Andalucia, Spanish call. Jan'14-Jan'18. (Research member)
- PROMOVE: Advances in mobile robotics for promoting independent life of elders (DPI2014-55826-R). MINECO, Spanish call. Jan'15-Dec'17. (Contract staff)
- Taroth: Nuevos desarrollos hacia un robot en casa (DPI2011-25483). CICYT, Spanish call. Jan'12-Dec'14. (Research member)
- ExCite: Enabling SoCial Interaction Through Embodiment (PS09/02678). AAL (Ambient Assited Living). Dec'09-Dec'12. (Contract staff)
- TCS: Tunnel Continuous Setout (OTRI-8.06/5.56.3153). SACYR S.A.U. Nov'08-Apr'10. (Contract staff)
During this time, I have trained my skills in different areas (with a *, areas where my knowledge is somehow basic):
- Programming stuff: C++, Visual Studio, QT Creator, CMake, Java, Eclipse.
- Libraries: MRPT, OpenMora, WxWidgets, OpenCV, PCL, ROS*, Eigen, Boost.
- Robotics Applications: Navigation, localization, planning (classic planning and HTN*), sensor characterization and calibration, object search.
- Knowledge Representation: Ontologies, Fuzzy logics.
- Machine Learning: Probabilistic graphical models (Conditional Random Fields, Markov Random Fields), Neuronal Networks, Probabilistic inference.
- Computer Vision: Face detection and recognition, image processing, pattern search, object and room categorization.
I'm enrolled in a number of SW projects, some of them as main developer and others as a contributor:
- UPGM++. Uniderected Probabilistic Graphical Models C++. A library for Graphical Models in our favorite programming language. Main developer
- OLT. The Object Labeling Dataset permits us to effortless label robotic datasets containing sequences of RGB-D observations. Main developer
- NAAS. A monolitical robotic architecture developed for the ExCITE project. Main developer
- mVision. A Matlab toolbox for managing images. It is perfect for educational purposes. Main developer
- mControl. A Matlab toolbox for controling motors. Main developer
- MRPT. Useful library for many fields related with robotics: localization, navigation, etc. Contributor
- OpenMORA. A nice robotic architecture. Contributor
Integration of CNN into a Robotic Architecture to build Semantic Maps of Indoor Environments
SANCHO robot. Robust and Efficient Face Detection
SANCHO robot: Reactive Navigation Using Kinect
Giraff robot. Autonomous docking at the recharging station (Autodocking)